Sunday, November 22, 2015

Hunter's Opening Weekend + Finding Safe Hikes

I almost opted NOT to hike this weekend since many of our favorite trails are within public hunting grounds and this weekend was opening weekend for gun-deer season.



But then I remembered the Eau Claire River Trail is off-limits to hunting and we haven't been there in forever! Off we went. Charlie was pretty excited. Luckily the Packer game was on at the same time we were there and we only ran into two other people using the trail. That allowed me to have Charlie off-leash for most of the time chasing her chuck-it ball.

I'm ready! Throw the ball!

I said throw the darn ball!
 
I'm ready again! Come on, throw it!

I can't get enough of this... throw it again?
I like playing fetch. Happy dog.

The sun made its second appearance for the day while we were out, peeking out below the clouds that flurried on us for most of the morning and early afternoon. It was blissfully quiet and peaceful along the trail. Interestingly, the slush/snow/ice mixture that had just begun to form along the shores of the river was floating downstream making a swooshing sound as they ran into each other and bumped along the logs and trees on the shore.


Soon the river will be frozen and silent. Winter is almost upon us.

VIDEO:



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't believe you don't have snow and we do down here in Madison. What a smart time to take a hike ... unless you wanted to watch the game. It was a good one! I always worry about being within range of the hunters, too. You were very brave, even if you went to a place that was off-limits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it's very strange that we didn't get snow up here first! My family from the southern part of the state have been sending me pics of all the snow... Charlie would LOVE it! She's such a snow-dog and I'm sure we'll have a blast when we finally get our first "real" snowfall. :)

      Delete