Saturday, January 31, 2015

Chasing Waterfalls

Photo of Pewit's Nest, courtesy of Rachel Roberts

Many people begin planning their gardens this time of year. All the gardening magazines feature design plans and advertisements to "buy your heirloom tomato seeds now!"... these are the things that help us "northerners" keep our sanity. 

By focusing on the future (summer) we can escape our current reality (winter). And surprisingly this works! Last year I measured out our garden space (in the snow) and determined what materials I would need to create a raised garden bed. I drew out a "map" of which vegetables would go where and by early spring I was ready to go! We had the best garden ever and it distracted me from a very harsh winter.

Today is the midpoint of winter and I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy. I miss hiking long distances with Charlie and hearing the rustle of leaves on the trees. Trails with packed snow have turned icy and the snow is too deep on untraveled trails to go very far. 

Charlie and I have become resigned to neighborhood walks and very short hikes lately. Nothing too inspiring.

But because we're halfway through with winter, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Days are getting noticeably longer - I get to enjoy a few minutes of sunset on my way home from work now. It's a good time to start making plans for our hiking/camping/road trip excursions this year. 

And last night, inspiration struck! 

This year, we're going to visit Wisconsin's beautiful waterfalls. Wisconsin has over 62 waterfalls and most of them are not too far from where I live. 

It's been amazing to discover so much beauty so close to home over the past 2 years, but there's so much more to see! At times I've been embarrassed that it's taken me so long to get out and explore and the fact that I have not had the chance to visit any of our state's waterfalls is just shameful!

Now the fun part begins... researching websites and blogs, consulting maps and penciling in dates on my calendar. I know I won't have time to see everything on my list this year, but I'll have plenty of adventures to choose from.

What adventures are you planning for this year?

Photo of Pewit's Nest, courtesy of Rachel Roberts


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish we had waterfalls close by. You live in a beautiful state. New follower here--love hiking with dogs, too! Come see us! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Hope you enjoy our "waterfall" adventures this year. :)

      Delete
  2. I love hiking with my friends up here in the beautiful Colorado Mountains but I was always having to pack extra rope. It was heavy and it would get all tangled I hated having to carry it around so one day I was stupid and just didn’t bring it. I was hiking alone with my dog on a beautiful summer day when my dog spotted a rabbit and pulled her leash out of my hands down a steep muddy sloop she went. I yelled for her to come and being the good dog she is she was ran to the bottom for the sloop. I called again but she just looked at me like you think I’m going up that? But after a few more “come girl” she tried it anyways. I have a 80 lb. pitbull she’s strong as hell but she could not get up the slope. She tried and tried tell she was beat and just laid there. I couldn’t go down the hill or we could have both been stuck. I told her to stay and I looked for another way to go down and get her but there was no way for her to get back up. I ran back to her she was still there just looking at me for help. Thats when my life changed a man and his dog came around the conner I yelled “help” he came running over to see what was wrong seeing my dog he actually began to laugh. Tell he saw I was in tears he stopped and looked at me and said “do you have any rope” I said “no” so he looked at his dog and told him to sit he took off his dogs collar and started to unwrap it. It became 30 feet of rope in less than 10 min I was in shock he tied it to a near by tree and told me to climb down. I climbed down tied my dog to the rope and he was able to give her that pull to help her up the hill than it was my turn it held my 150 lbs of weight not problem. Once we were safe I thanked him and asked where I could get something like that he gave me a website and I bought a bracelet a dog collar and a keychain I don’t bring rope on my hikes anymore I bring my PARACORD!!!!
    https://www.etsy.com/people/mariahnieman123?ref=hdr_user_menu

    ReplyDelete