Thursday, September 18, 2014

Choosing Grandfather Falls (with video)


Earlier this year, when I was being interviewed for an article in Dog Fancy magazine, I was asked what my favorite segment of the Ice Age Trail was. That was a really tough question for me and since I knew it would be the basis of the article/interview, it was a really important question too.

I chose the Grandfather Falls Segment.

The article came out in the May issue and I was thrilled to see myself and Charlie in such a big publication... and representing "The Midwest" too!

But every now and then I questioned whether I chose the right trail for this article. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the Grandfather Falls Segment, but there are so many great segments of the Ice Age Trail that it really is almost impossible to choose a favorite.


Charlie and I revisited Grandfather Falls on a recent weekend and I was pleasantly surprised to feel justified in my choice. It really is a spectacular segment, and on this particular day the river was roaring with all the recent rainfall we've received and the trail was full of intoxicating smells of earth and leaves.

I brought along my GoPro camera to share the experience with anyone who wants a taste of one of the Midwest's best hiking trails.

Enjoy ~

(For those of you who are curious about Charlie's hiking gear, I use the Ruffwear Web Master harness in size Medium and the Ruffwear Roamer Leash in size Large. Charlie is a 42-lb. yellow lab/border collie mix. The Ruffwear gear is pricey, but worth it! I couldn't imagine hiking without this setup and it's so well-made that it will probably last Charlie's lifetime.)

2 comments:

  1. Why is it called The Ice age Trail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the line of last advancement of the glaciers in Wisconsin from about 10,000 years ago. There are many landmarks along this 1200-mile-long stretch of National Scenic Trail giving evidence of glacial activity, including large boulders that were left behind when the ice melted and the way the ice shaped the land. You can learn more about it at www.iceagetrail.org. Enjoy!

      Delete