Thursday, July 11, 2013

Secret Spots - To Share Or Not?


Have you ever found one of those "secret spots" that was just so awesome it made you want to share it with the world, but then you remember that the reason it's so awesome is because the whole world doesn't know about it?


It's a conundrum. I mean the point of this blog is to share all those beautiful spots with you, dear reader, so you can enjoy them also. But what if everyone showed up at that secret spot? What if people left garbage behind? What if they disrespected the peace and quiet?


I was lucky enough to have a "local" share directions to this really beautiful spot on the Red River in Wisconsin. I'm sure you could figure out where it is if you were determined enough to find it. There is even a pretty cool historic site nearby that was made famous back in the 70's.


A lot of locals come here and most people are pretty respectful, although I find myself picking up garbage every time I visit. Teenagers insist on smoking cigarettes and drinking beer... leaving behind butts and bottle caps. I suppose some things are to be expected but I try my hardest to leave this place better than I found it; it's just too beautiful to treat any other way.


This past weekend, after another round of rainstorms, the water was much higher than normal. Typically the rock formations in the water are more visible... a natural rock waterslide, a whirlpool with rock seats and water so clear you can see to the bottom.

Video from July 2013 (high water level):

Video from July 2012 (regular water level):
 

Would you share your secret spot with the world?

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment